October is National Dental Hygiene Month – a month dedicated to promoting healthy mouths and learning what we can do to keep our teeth strong for a lifetime.
Tips for Maintaining Good Oral Health
- Drink plenty of water! Stay hydrated. A dry mouth can cause open sores, aches, and tooth decay.
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Floss your teeth once a day.
- Help young children brush and floss until age 8.
- Change your toothbrush at least every three months and after you are sick.
- If you wear dentures, take them out and clean them every day.
- Eat lots of washed fruits and vegetables if possible.
- Don’t eat sticky or sweet foods or drink sugary drinks. Both contribute to tooth decay.
- Avoid snacking all day long.
- Stop using all tobacco products. Need help? Visit https://coquitline.org.
- Don’t share utensils, cups or toothbrushes.
- Find healthy ways to cope with stress like taking deep breaths, stretching, or exercising.
For additional oral health tips, check out the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.
Your Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid Program) Dental Benefits
As a Health First Colorado member, you can receive dental services such as cleanings, fillings, root canals, crowns, partial dentures and others. In addition, children under age 21 can receive preventive services, including exams, cleanings, X-rays, sealants, space maintainers, fluoride treatments and more.
- There are no co-pays
- For adults, the annual benefit covers each member up to $1,500 from July 1 - June 30
Health First Colorado covers your dental services through DentaQuest. If you need help choosing or changing your dental provider, call DentaQuest Member Services at 1-855-225-1729 (TTY 711) or go to DentaQuest.com/Colorado.
CCHA is here to help! If you would like additional help navigating your dental benefits, call us. CCHA care coordinators can help you connect with a provider, assess your needs and gain access to resources to help you manage your health.
Call CCHA Member Support Services
303-256-1717 | 719-598-1540 | 1-855-627-4685 (TTY 711)
Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm