Behavioral Health Appeals Fax Line and Email Intake are Now Operational
CCHA's Behavioral Health Department has enabled a new email and fax line for member and provider appeal submissions. CCHA is working to update materials to reflect these new contact forms. You can reference the new email and fax line below. If you have any questions, please reach out to your
provider experience representative for assistance.

Do you have a complaint or want to appeal a decision about your health care services?

As a Colorado community Health Alliance (CCHA) member, you expect the best and that’s what we’re committed to providing you. If you have concerns about your care, call us. We’re here to help.

If you have a problem with your Health First Colorado services or providers, we would like you to tell us about it. Contact CCHA Member Support Services and we’ll try to solve the problem on the phone.

Filing a Complaint (Also Known as a Grievance)

If we can’t take care of the problem when you call us, you can file a complaint. Once you file a complaint, it will be reviewed and you will get a letter with a decision. If you do not agree with the answer you get, you may be able to ask for a second review. Learn more about filing a complaint.

Complaints concerning noncompliance with advance directive requirements may be filed with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Filing an Appeal

There may be times when a service that was approved will be denied, end or be reduced. In other cases, all or part of the care your provider asked for may not be paid. You will get a letter called a Notice of Action for any decision that affects your coverage or services. It will tell you the decision, why it was made and how to appeal if you disagree.

Steps to ask for an appeal

To submit a verbal appeal, call us at 1-855-627-4685. Explain you’re requesting an appeal.

To submit a written appeal, you can mail, fax, or email your appeal request to CCHA. To process your appeal request, we will need the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your Health First Colorado member ID
  • Your phone number

You may submit a written appeal to CCHA one of the following methods:

Mail: Colorado Community Health Alliance (CCHA)
P.O. Box 62429
Virginia Beach, VA 23466-2429

Fax: 1-877-376-3194


You may also fill out, sign, and return the Member Appeal Request form to CCHA either using mail, fax, or email. You can also use this form to have someone such as a family member, friend, provider, or advocate serve as your designated representative during your appeal. For help filing a complaint or appeal, call:

Ombudsman for Health First Colorado Managed Care
303-830-3560 (local)
1-877-435-7123 (toll free)
711 (TTY)

Your Health First Colorado Member Handbook will tell you more about your rights to file a complaint or an appeal. If you have questions about anything you read here or in the Member Handbook, contact CCHA Member Support Services.

File a complaint about access to behavioral health care

Your health plan is subject to the Mental Health Parity Addiction Equity Act of 2008. This means that your covered behavioral health benefits cannot be more difficult to access than physical health benefits. A denial, restriction, or withholding of behavioral health services could be a potential violation of the parity act. File a complaint with the Behavioral Health Ombudsman Office of Colorado if you have a parity concern.

Behavioral Health Ombudsman Office of Colorado
Call: 303-866-2789 (State Relay/TTY 711)

A representative of the Ombudsman Office will call or reply to you directly. You can also ask your behavioral health provider or guardian/legal representative to file a complaint for you.

If you need the information on this page in another format, please contact CCHA Member Support Services.

The information will be provided in paper form free of charge within 5 business days.

We can connect you to language services or help you find a provider with ADA accommodations.

If you are having a medical or mental health emergency, call 911 or go to your nearest hospital-based ER.

If you are having a mental health or substance use crisis, call Colorado Crisis Services at 1-844-493-8255.