Having current provider information helps us maintain an accurate provider directory, ensuring you are easily accessible to our members.

Physical and behavioral health providers must keep their information up to date with both the Department of Health Care Policy & Financing (HCPF), through the Colorado interchange, and Colorado Community Health Alliance (CCHA).

Data elements required by HCPF and CCHA includes, but are not limited to:

  • Service location
  • Mailing and billing addresses
  • Managing providers

Update InterChange Information

Please update InterChange information through the Provider Web Portal. Refer to the Provider Maintenance Provider Web Portal Quick Guide, available on the Quick Guides and Webinars webpage, for detailed, step-by-step instructions on updating address information.

Update Your Physical Health Provider Information

To update CCHA with any changes to your physical health practice or providers, please email Providers@CCHAcares.com.

Update Your Behavioral Health Provider Information

To update CCHA with any changes to your behavioral health practice or providers, please use the Behavioral Health Practice Profile Update Form, which can be found at CCHAcares.com/provider tools > Behavioral Health Providers > Individual Provider/Practitioner.

Please call contact CCHA Member Support Services to report any incorrect information you have discovered regarding a specific doctor, practice or facility currently displayed on CCHA’s online provider directory. Typically, this information includes changes to office phone numbers, addresses and other demographic.

Llame a los servicios de ayuda para miembros de CCHA para reportar cualquier información incorrecta que haya encontrado con respecto a un médico, consultorio o centro específicos que figuren en este momento en el directorio de proveedores en línea de CCHA. Por lo general, esta información incluye cambios en los números de teléfono del consultorio, direcciones y otros datos demográficos.

If you need the information on this page in another format, please contact CCHA Member Support Services.

The information will be provided in paper form free of charge within 5 business days.

We can connect you to language services or help you find a provider with ADA accommodations.

If you are having a medical or mental health emergency, call 911 or go to your nearest hospital-based ER.

If you are having a mental health or substance use crisis, call Colorado Crisis Services at 1-844-493-8255.